Brian Jean doubles down on Trudeau’s RCMP
UCP leadership candidate Brian Jean is doubling down on his continued support for the federal RCMP to remain Alberta’s primary police force.

TCS Wire

August 23, 2022

UCP leadership candidate Brian Jean is doubling down on his continued support for the federal RCMP to remain Alberta’s primary police force.

Brian Jean doubles down on Trudeau's RCMP
Brian Jean doubles down on Trudeau’s RCMP

“Nanton, Okotoks, Innisfail, Edson. [These are] not NDP bastions, and they are telling us they are not convinced this is the right thing to do,” Brian Jean tweeted in response to an article by the Calgary Herald. “I oppose any plan that results in less policing in Alberta, and the heads of over 70 municipalities say they don’t support this.”

Jean’s comments are curious as a recent report shows that switching to a provincial police force model would actually bring 275 additional frontline officers to the province.

However, it is true that many mayors, including those in rural areas, favour keeping things the way they are, especially those who’ve fostered relationships with their local RCMP detachments.

“Over the last few years, we have worked extremely hard to build up our relationship and communications with our local RCMP. We have a mutual understanding and direction on what serves our town best,” says Nanton mayor Jennifer Handley.

Other mayors say they’re concerned with the potential cost of a provincial police force.

However, a detailed study conducted last year by PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC) shows that the costs of a provincial replacement would be roughly the same, if not slightly cheaper.

According to the study, the RCMP currently handles roughly 42 per cent of the population’s policing needs, with the other 58 per cent of the population being protected by municipal police forces.

As it stands, the RCMP costs roughly $742 million annually, with an additional $41 million being spent on Sheriffs Highway Patrol Costs ($783 million total).

Conversely, the estimated total costs of a proposed Provincial Police Service are estimated to be either $734 million or $758 million, depending on which of the province’s proposed staff resource models are pursued.

Share this story

Help Keep your News Free

Share this story

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

Transportation Minister says he suspects some municipalities are abusing photo radars simply as cash cows.

Mike Campbell

November 23, 2023

Trending News

Both Aimeur and Atoui face charges under the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act for operating an unregistered money services business.

Mike Campbell

November 23, 2023

Trending News

A Remembrance Day memorial was vandalized by Palestinian activists at the University of Calgary on Friday, the day before Canada’s most solemn holiday.

Keean Bexte

November 10, 2023

Trending News

NDP member Shannon Phillips subsequently implied that Smith is a racist for meeting the “white nationalist” Carlson.

TCS Wire

November 7, 2023

Trending News

George Chahal and Randy Boissonnault voted against the Conservative Party’s motion to pause the tax for all Canadians, including Albertans.

TCS Wire

November 6, 2023

Trending News

The proposed legislation does not include property taxes, meaning Gondek and Sohi would have free range to raise taxes as they see fit. 

TCS Wire

October 31, 2023

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.