Calgary judge spares indigenous throat-slitter federal prison due to ‘colonialism’

A Calgary judge just let an indigenous man avoid a federal prison sentence despite having slit a stranger’s throat on the subway in May. 

Calgary judge spares indigenous throat-slitter federal prison due to ‘colonialism’

In his ruling on the case of 25-year-old Bobby Crane, Judge Harry Van Harten cited “the history of colonialism” as contributing to his attack on the white 65-year-old stranger, Leonard Smith.

“The history of colonialism has to be taken into account,” said Van Harten in his ruling. 

Instead of serving his sentence in a federal prison, Crane will serve two years in a provincial jail and an additional three years of probation. 

The brutal incident occurred on May 18 on a CTrain at around 6:20 a.m. Smith, who is visually impaired and relies on public transit, was attacked by Crane from behind. 

Crane slashed Smith’s throat with a utility knife from one side to the next, leaving him with a 23-centimetre gash on his neck that barely missed his carotid artery – which, if severed, would have likely left Smith dead.

“The accused … slashed his throat, dragging his knife from the right side to the left side of Mr. Smith’s neck,” said Crown prosecutor Tara Wells.

Wells called for the most strict sentence for Crane over the “horrific act of random violence.” 

Lawyers representing Crane argued that he should be spared the most severe sentence due to his status as an indigenous man, being diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) and the so-called danger federal prison would pose to him. 

“If you were to impose the sentence that my friend is asking … that doesn’t help the public,” claimed lawyer Rebecca Snukal. 

Judge Van Harten agreed with the defence, saying he would let Crane partake in a FASD rehabilitation program. 

“That’s going to give him a life, and that’s what I’m asking you to do,” said Van Harten. 

Random attacks have been on the rise in Canada throughout urban areas like Calgary. Earlier this month, police charged a man for assaulting at least 10 random strangers in the city’s downtown.

Sign our petition below.

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

[wpp limit=6 order_by='views']

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

Danielle Smith is refusing to allow Alberta’s prosperous energy industry to be used as a bargaining chip by the Libs amid Trump’s tariff threat.

Keean Bexte

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith has reportedly traveled to Mar-a-Lago, Florida, seeking a private audience with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump.

Keean Bexte

January 11, 2025

Trending News

A growing amount of illegal contraband is being sold online and shipped across Canada, a new report has found. 

Walid Tamtam

January 10, 2025

Trending News

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre vows to introduce the largest crackdown on crime in Canadian history. 

Walid Tamtam

January 6, 2025

Trending News

Alberta NDP leader Naheed Nenshi has finally come out of the woodwork and declared he will seek his party’s nomination in Edmonton-Strathcona.

Keean Bexte

January 3, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.