Eight teenage girls in Toronto have been charged with second-degree murder after allegedly stabbing a man to death near Union Station.
The man’s identity is yet to be released, as police are still trying to notify his next of kin.
He is said to be quasi-homeless, reports the Toronto Star.
“He does have a very supportive family in the area, so I wouldn’t necessarily call him homeless, maybe just recently on some hard luck,” said Sgt. Terry Browne.
Three of the girls are 13 years old, three are 14, and two are under 16 years old. People noticed the victim bleeding out on the street and called 911.
The man was brought to a hospital but later succumbed to his injuries.
The incident occurred around 10:30 PM on Sunday, near York University and Front Street.
Brown said the girls were apprehended shortly after the stabbing, and weapons were obtained from the them, though Browne wouldn’t say what they were. He said the girls met each other on social media;
The girls were also involved in a separate “altercation” earlier that night.
“I wouldn’t describe them as a gang at this point, but what they are alleged to have occurred that evening would be consistent with what we traditionally call a swarming – or a swarming type behaviour.”
Browne said three of the eight girls had had prior contact with police. He’s asking for anyone who saw something suspicious that night to notify police.
Also on Sunday night in Vaughan, just north of Toronto, six people were shot to death in a condo.
The gunman, 73-year-old Francesco Villi, was shot to death by police upon arriving at the scene.
All six victims, and Villi, reportedly lived in the same condo. One victim was the maternal grandfather to Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Victor Mete.