Famous female surfer boycotts league in protest of ‘trans-inclusive’ policy

A female surfer announced she will no longer compete in the World Surf League unless it reverses its ‘trans-inclusive’ policy that allows biological men to compete against women. 

Famous female surfer boycotts league in protest of ‘trans-inclusive’ policy

The World Surf League (WSL) implemented the policy change late last year, allowing biological men to compete against women as long as they “identify” as women and their testosterone levels aren’t too high.

Surfing icon Bethany Hamilton said she will not compete in any WSL event as long as the rule remains in place.

“This concerns me as a professional athlete that has been competing in the WSL events for the past fifteen plus years,” 

“I think many of the girls currently on tour are not in support of this new rule and they fear being ostracized if they speak up.”

Hamilton asked people to consider how this rule has impacted other sports such as swimming. 

“I think it’s really hard to imagine what the future of women’s surfing will be like in 15 to 20 years down the road if we move forward allowing this major change,” she added. 

“I personally won’t be competing in or supporting the World Surf League if this rule remains,” Hamilton said.

The veteran Hamilton, 32, became an international sports icon after a shark bit off her arm in 2003. The following year, at just 14 years old, Hamilton won the NSSA National Competition. She followed that up in 2005 with another win.

Her last win came in 2014 at the Surf ‘n’ Sea Pipeline Women’s Pro.

Following her announcement, a few prominent female athletes expressed support for her decision, including US swimmer Riley Gains.

“This is HUGE! Thank you ⁦@bethanyhamilton⁩ for standing strong and using your powerful platform and voice to advocate for women. Even more of a role model than you already are for so many,” Gains said. 

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

[wpp limit=6 order_by='views']

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

WATCH: Five armed police officers forcibly removed Keean Bexte and other accredited journalists from Mark Carney’s press conference in Edmonton.

Kat Kanada

January 16, 2025

Trending News

After India’s most recent election, only 11 members of India’s parliament are Sikh, compared to 15 Sikh MPs in Canada.

Walid Tamtam

January 16, 2025

Trending News

Public outcry has forced an Islamist group that advocates for overthrowing sovereign governments to cancel its annual conference in Canada.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Up to 500,000 persons could be residing in Canada illegally, compared to the 68,000 military personnel safeguarding the country.

TCS Wire

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland expected to announce their bids for Liberal leadership shortly.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith is refusing to allow Alberta’s prosperous energy industry to be used as a bargaining chip by the Libs amid Trump’s tariff threat.

Keean Bexte

January 14, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.