GST pause a “giant mess,” says Canadian Federation of Independent Business    

The Liberal’s two-month GST and HST holiday, meant to offer financial relief to Canadians, is causing a great deal of confusion among small and medium-sized businesses across the country. 

GST pause a “giant mess,” says Canadian Federation of Independent Business    

According to Dan Kelly, CEO of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB), the rollout of the tax break has been chaotic. 

Businesses are grappling with uncertainty over whether the holiday is mandatory, how to implement it, and how to handle consumer inquiries about the changes.

“It’s a giant mess,” Kelly told CTV News.

Kelly said he’s been in discussions with officials in Ottawa to clarify the issues, and has been told that strict enforcement is not the immediate priority. 

“It’s legislated. It is supposed to be mandatory, but basically, the government —CRA and finance — are saying, ‘We’re not planning to rigidly enforce this. So do your best,'” he said.

For example, much confusion exists for toy store owners, who have thousands of inventory items, but only some of which apply for the tax break. The confusion has already resulted in confrontations at checkout points, causing distress among retail staff.

Meanwhile, large businesses like Coke and Pepsi have both issued statements indicating they won’t be participating in the scheme. 

Some small businesses have posted signs on their stores indicating they will donate 5% to a charity in lieu of figuring out which items they need to adjust prices to, and which ones don’t need an adjustment.

Polls remain the same

The federal Conservatives remain projected to win a majority government three weeks after the Trudeau Liberals announced their two-month GST pause on things like diapers, candy, and toys. 

Prime Minister Trudeau recently touted his GST pause on X, only to get a community note attached to his post, which informed Canadians that most essential grocery items are already exempt from GST. 

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

WATCH: Five armed police officers forcibly removed Keean Bexte and other accredited journalists from Mark Carney’s press conference in Edmonton.

Kat Kanada

January 16, 2025

Trending News

Public outcry has forced an Islamist group that advocates for overthrowing sovereign governments to cancel its annual conference in Canada.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland expected to announce their bids for Liberal leadership shortly.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Carney brands himself as an “outsider” despite previously calling himself an advisor to the Trudeau government.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

According to the immigration and refugee board of Canada, 98% of Iranian refugee applications and 97% of Turkish applications are accepted.

Walid Tamtam

January 12, 2025

Trending News

The Liberal establishment’s golden boy, Mark Carney, is scrambling to control the narrative after pics resurface of him hobnobbing with Epstein’s accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell.

Keean Bexte

January 10, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.