Elon Musk said that Twitter has previously interfered in elections, after he responded to a blogger who claimed the company’s trust and safety department is a joke.
The blogger, Eva Fox, was responding to a Reuters article that blamed Musk for leading to a “less safe” platform.
“Twitter has shown itself to be not safe for the past 10 years and has lost users’ trust,” said Fox.
“The past team of ‘trust and safety’ is a disgrace, so it doesn’t have any right to judge what is being done now. They had a chance, but they sold their souls to a corporation.”
Musk responded “Exactly. The obvious reality, as long-time users know, is that Twitter has failed in trust & safety for a very long time and has interfered in elections.”
“Twitter 2.0 will be far more effective, transparent and even-handed,” Musk added.
Musk has promised that he will reveal all “soon” when it comes to said interference. On Monday, he said that the public deserves to know “what really happened.”
Twitter infamously banned the Hunter Biden laptop story in the weeks leading up to the 2020 US election. Since then, the former head of Twitter’s trust and safety said that it was a “mistake.”
Nonetheless, governments seem weary about the platform promoting too much free speech. Earlier this month, Ottawa’s so-called “media agency of record,” Cossette, advised the federal government on Friday to “pause activity immediately and monitor the situation” at Twitter.
On Wednesday, the EU threatened to ban the social media platform – like China does – over “content moderation” fears.
Musk continues to tweet updates about changes as well as polls for users to partake in about possible changes to the site. One such vote led to Trump’s account being reinstated.