Ontario Liberals drop candidate over homophobic slur

The Ontario Liberals dropped another candidate, this time over a homophobic slur the candidate says he made when he was only 15 years old.

“All Ontarians deserve to have a safe community around them, and comments like those make it more difficult to earn that trust. I apologize unequivocally for any harms that they have caused, and I will continue to learn from previous mistakes,” said former candidate Alex Mazurek on Facebook.

Mazurek, now 23, apparently made the Facebook post eight years ago, dropping a six-letter f-bomb.

“To put it into context, I was just starting high school. This is not an excuse to minimize the reason that this is an issue, but I would also like to make clear that we’re holding a child to the same standards as the adult writing this statement today,” Mazurek continued.

While many would forgive comments made by candidates when they were in their adolescence, the Ontario Liberals were fast to condemn Mazurek, calling his behaviour “reckless.”

“I think it’s really important for leaders to take decisive action when candidate behaviour that is irresponsible, that is reckless, that is not what we stand for is dealt with in the most decisive way possible. So I will take a look immediately following this event, and if that is the case, he will no longer be a candidate for us,” said Ontario Liberal leader Steven Del Duca of the former candidate.

It isn’t clear if, when put under a microscope, Del Duca thinks that there’s a single person on the planet who hasn’t posted or sent a message of an inflammatory nature since the advent of social media.

Mazurek’s departure marks the third liberal candidate to drop out in a single week. He will now be replaced Audrey Festeryga, who presumable didn’t drop an f-bomb on Facebook in her teens.

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

[wpp limit=6 order_by='views']

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

WATCH: Five armed police officers forcibly removed Keean Bexte and other accredited journalists from Mark Carney’s press conference in Edmonton.

Kat Kanada

January 16, 2025

Trending News

Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland expected to announce their bids for Liberal leadership shortly.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Carney brands himself as an “outsider” despite previously calling himself an advisor to the Trudeau government.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

The Liberal establishment’s golden boy, Mark Carney, is scrambling to control the narrative after pics resurface of him hobnobbing with Epstein’s accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell.

Keean Bexte

January 10, 2025

Trending News

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre vows to introduce the largest crackdown on crime in Canadian history. 

Walid Tamtam

January 6, 2025

Trending News

Liberal MP Iqra Khalid suggested that she would never know if Russia funded Jordan Peterson’s podcast with Pierre Poilievre since Poilievre hadn’t gotten his ‘security clearance.’

Walid Tamtam

January 4, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.