Quebec became the first province in Canada to stop advising young and healthy Canadians to get a COVID booster.
Dr. Luc Boileau announced the change in guidance at a news conference on Thursday.
“There is no need to get vaccinated if we have had the experience of COVID-19 infection and that we have been vaccinated so far, at least two doses,” the province’s public health director said.
Boileau further said the only people who should get a COVID booster are those over 60 and vulnerable individuals who don’t have natural immunity.
At the end of the press conference, Boileau was caught on a hot mic saying “I wonder what we’re going to do with all of those vaccines.”
This development makes Quebec the first province in Canada to stop recommending vaccines to young and healthy populations. It’s also a tacit admission that natural immunity offers at least equal protection as the COVID vaccine.
Notably, Quebec’s decision goes against the Public Health Agency of Canada’s (PHAC) guidance.
“It’s important to stay up to date on COVID-19 vaccinations to reduce the risks of severe illness and death from COVID-19,” PHAC’s website reads.
“Bivalent vaccines are approved as booster doses for those 5 years of age and over.”
Other countries have already announced vaccines are no longer available to younger populations. Last year, the UK stopped offering the COVID vaccine to children aged 12 and under. Last week, it expanded this to anyone under 50.
Denmark has also stopped offering the vaccine to anyone under 50.
Earlier this week, The Counter Signal reported that Canada had almost twice as many COVID deaths in 2022 with an 85% vaccinated population – and a less deadly variant – than in 2020, when no one was vaccinated.
In 2022, Health Canada data shows 15,844 deaths occurred due to COVID – almost double the number of deaths in 2020 when citizens were “unprotected.”