Smith leading most polls in final stretch of Alberta election
Most polls show Danielle Smith maintains a lead over Rachel Notley in Alberta election

Mike Campbell

May 16, 2023

Danielle Smith’s United Conservative Party (UCP) remains ahead of Rachel Notley’s New Democratic Party (NDP), according to new Alberta election polling.

Smith leading most polls in final stretch of Alberta election

In a Mainstreet Research poll conducted from May 9–12 among 1,338 adults, 45% of all respondents indicated they would vote UCP, compared to 39% NDP.

The same poll showed that 26% and 20% of Albertans have “strongly favourable” and “somewhat favourable” views of Smith, respectively, while 29% and 15% indicated the same views for Notley.

Likewise, 40% and 8% of respondents indicated “strongly unfavourable” and “somewhat unfavourable” views of Smith, respectively, whereas Notley captured 39% and 13%. 

However, according to an Abacus Data poll of 885 adults, 43% said they would vote for the NDP, compared to 35% for the UCP.

Most polls show Smith has lead over Notley

Most other polls show Smith is ahead. 

On 338 Canada, a site that aggregates a variety of poll results, a May 14 update shows that the UCP has a 59% chance of winning the most seats, with the NDP at 41%.

On Monday, a leaked Janet Brown poll suggested Smith is actually way ahead of Notley — even in Calgary, where Smith shows a double-digit lead.

Mainstreet Research has also indicated that federal Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre has 56% support from Alberta, compared to the Trudeau Liberals at 18%, and Jagmeet Singh’s NDP with 13%. 

Danielle Smith announced Monday that if re-elected she would introduce Compassionate Intervention legislation that would force dangerous, mentally ill addicts into treatment. Meanwhile, Rachel Notley continually refuses to address the NDP’s trend of defund the police rhetoric and tries to get any journalist who asks her about it arrested, such as The Counter Signal’s editor-in-chief Keean Bexte.

The Alberta election takes place May 29.

Share this story

Help Keep your News Free

Share this story

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

Some doctors are closing their clinics, saying the cost of rent is too high.

Alexa Posa

April 24, 2024

Trending News

The Centre for Isreal and Jewish Affairs said the Pride Centre breached the federal anti-racism strategy, supported attacks by listed terrorist entities, and “issued written support for the sexual violence waged against Jews.” 

Alexa Posa

April 22, 2024

Trending News

A group of concerned citizens took notice of what they perceived to be government overreach regarding the National Urban Park Initiative and are taking action.

Alexa Posa

April 18, 2024

Trending News

Over 22,000 individuals are a part of the AUPE, and they state that a 26% wage increase would solve their financial issues.

Alexa Posa

April 18, 2024

Trending News

When asked about the financial disparities between the two parties, Smith said NDP Leader Rachel Notley “ran her party into the ground.”

Alexa Posa

April 17, 2024

Trending News

The Alberta government has updated its policy for COVID boosters, saying that all people above the age of just 6 months old can get an mRNA COVID booster every 3 months for the rest of their lives.

TCS Wire

April 16, 2024

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.