Smith says Alberta can’t take in more refugees 

Despite the increasing number of refugee claimants in Canada — the vast majority of whom are middle-aged men — Premier Danielle Smith says Alberta is currently full. 

Smith says Alberta can’t take in more refugees 

Asked if she’d take some from Quebec, where most asylum seekers first arrive by plane, Smith told reporters on Tuesday that the timing isn’t right.

“We’re experiencing a similar type of pressure that the federal government has to align the number of people coming into the country with the capacity of our system to be able to support it,” she said, adding, “whether it’s building homes or whether it’s providing healthcare or education.” 

The Premier said Alberta houses just 12% of the Canadian population but currently takes in 22% of newcomers to Canada.

Asylum seeker surge

Refugee claimants have spiked in Canada ever since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau infamously flung open the doors for them in 2017, tweeting that everyone is welcome in Canada.

Since then, provinces continue to sound alarm bells over the influx of asylum seekers. Quebec Premier François Legault told Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that his province has reached a “breaking point” in January, as an overwhelming number of individuals continue to show up in Quebec’s airports on round trip flight purchases only to request asylum upon arrival. 

The federal Liberals subsequently announced they would provide $750 million to help Quebec manage associated costs, but nothing was offered to other provinces.

BC Premier David Eby said he would be open to taking more refugee claimants off Quebec’s hands, but only if the feds will provide the same financial support.

“If it is a federal program to support new arrivals, it needs to be in place nationally,” he said.

Liberals consider buying up hotels

Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced recently that he might start buying up hotels to house the surge of refugee claimants.

Since Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister, more than half of individuals given deportation orders remain in Canada.

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

Public outcry has forced an Islamist group that advocates for overthrowing sovereign governments to cancel its annual conference in Canada.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith is refusing to allow Alberta’s prosperous energy industry to be used as a bargaining chip by the Libs amid Trump’s tariff threat.

Keean Bexte

January 14, 2025

Trending News

According to the immigration and refugee board of Canada, 98% of Iranian refugee applications and 97% of Turkish applications are accepted.

Walid Tamtam

January 12, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith has reportedly traveled to Mar-a-Lago, Florida, seeking a private audience with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump.

Keean Bexte

January 11, 2025

Trending News

Liberal MP Chandra Arya, a Canadian citizen originally from India, has announced his bid to become the next leader of the Liberal Party and Prime Minister of Canada.

Walid Tamtam

January 9, 2025

Trending News

Trump doubles down on his idea of Canada/US merger: “Canada and the United States? That would really be something!”

Walid Tamtam

January 7, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.