Canadian taxpayers spent over 6 million to quarantine 15 people

Conservative MP Michelle Rempel Garner discovered that Canadian taxpayers spent almost 7 million dollars to quarantine just 15 people in one Calgary hotel.

Taxpayers spent over 6 million to quarantine 15 people

Garner’s discovery came after she submitted order paper questions regarding specific quarantine hotels in Alberta.

On Monday, Garner received a response from Liberal MP Adam Van Koeverden.

Garner wrote in her substack what she learned.  

“In fiscal year 2022, long after the rest of the world had ended quarantine hotel restrictions and after the government had lifted travel restrictions, at one Calgary area hotel, the federal Liberal government spent $6,790,717.46 on lodging expenses for . . . wait for it . . . 15 people,” Garner said.

“That works out to $452,714.50 spent per person on a quarantine hotel after they ended most travel restrictions.”

This cost about $450,000 more per person than what the feds said it would. CTV reported two years ago that the per-person price was about $1,500. 

Moreover, Garner mentions this expense came after the federal government lifted its quarantine requirements.

“The response to my order paper question states that the government could cancel the contract after giving 30 day notice but only elected to do so sometime in late fall 2022, again, long after travel restrictions had been eased,” Garner said.

“Why was this contract maintained after travel restrictions had been lifted? How did no one catch that this was happening? And this is just one quarantine hotel facility. How many more stories like this are there across the country?”

Garner said she intends to dig into the issue even further. 

Garner was Patrick Brown’s campaign chair in the federal Conservative party leadership race Poilievre won.

She stepped down from that role amid speculation she would run for the Alberta premiership. Shortly after, Brown was disqualified from the race over cheating allegations.

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

[wpp limit=6 order_by='views']

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

WATCH: Five armed police officers forcibly removed Keean Bexte and other accredited journalists from Mark Carney’s press conference in Edmonton.

Kat Kanada

January 16, 2025

Trending News

Mark Carney and Chrystia Freeland expected to announce their bids for Liberal leadership shortly.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith is refusing to allow Alberta’s prosperous energy industry to be used as a bargaining chip by the Libs amid Trump’s tariff threat.

Keean Bexte

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Carney brands himself as an “outsider” despite previously calling himself an advisor to the Trudeau government.

Walid Tamtam

January 14, 2025

Trending News

Danielle Smith has reportedly traveled to Mar-a-Lago, Florida, seeking a private audience with U.S. President-elect Donald Trump.

Keean Bexte

January 11, 2025

Trending News

The Liberal establishment’s golden boy, Mark Carney, is scrambling to control the narrative after pics resurface of him hobnobbing with Epstein’s accomplice Ghislaine Maxwell.

Keean Bexte

January 10, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.