Trigger the CBC: Join the Broadcasters Circle today

Alberta: Non-COVID excess deaths among young nearly match COVID deaths

TCS Wire

May 10, 2022

A peer-reviewed study indicates that during the pandemic in Alberta, almost as many excess deaths were non-COVID related — mainly occurring among the province’s young.

The study covers 17 months, from January 2020 to May 2021, and examines the relationship between excess deaths by age group and deaths caused by COVID-19.

The results were striking.

“Increase in all cause-excess deaths was proportionately higher, and in significantly greater numbers, in the younger age groups,” researchers found.

“Although older adults are more likely to die of COVID-19, there was [a] massive increase in non-COVID-19 related mortality among the youth. These should be factored in public policy decisions on epidemic/pandemic management.”

Indeed, of all the excess deaths, 18.2 per cent (731 deaths) were from drug poisoning, mostly among those aged 25-60.

Furthermore, 27.9 per cent of all excess deaths were due to “other factors such as limited access to urgent medical care,” suggesting delays in the medical system due to the prioritization of COVID could have increased excess deaths.

Thus, while health officials attribute 53.9 per cent of excess deaths to COVID-19 (mainly among the elderly), the other 46.1 per cent were from non-COVID reasons (mainly among the young).

Additionally, December 2020 had the most excess deaths — which is precisely when restaurants, gyms, and places of worship were locked down for the second time.

The negative effects of government-mandated lockdowns are glaring.

Indeed, Alberta’s chief medical officer, Dr. Hinshaw, has fought a constitutional challenge against her government over these very pandemic-related restrictions. She’s already conceded that, despite the lockdowns, 96 per cent of the population was not at risk of dying from COVID.

While she will likely argue that lockdowns prevented more COVID deaths than they appear to have caused for non-COVID reasons, data released by the WHO suggests otherwise.

For example, Sweden’s refused to lock down citizens or businesses during the pandemic, which resulted in fewer excess COVID deaths in Sweden than what was experienced by the average country in Europe.

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on email

Help Keep your News Free

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on email

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

the WHO announced they must hold an emergency meeting over a spontaneous global monkeypox outbreak that has infected less than 100 people.

TCS Wire

May 20, 2022

Trending News

Despite surviving the leadership review, Jason Kenney announced that will resign as leader of the UCP and Premier of Alberta, having only secured 51.4 per cent of the vote.

TCS Wire

May 19, 2022

Trending News

The Missouri Legislature recently passed a bill that prevents state licensing boards from punishing doctors who “lawfully” prescribe ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine for COVID.

Thomas Lambert

May 18, 2022

Trending News

The Alberta government could see a major shakeup following the results of the leadership review, which will be known in just two days on May 18.

TCS Wire

May 16, 2022

Trending News

After admitting that it’s finally seen cases of COVID, Kim Jong Un has imposed a nationwide, Canada-style lockdown in North Korea.

Thomas Lambert

May 13, 2022

Trending News

The Alberta Court of Appeal has ruled that Bill C-69, the environmental ‘Impact Assessment Act,’ also known as the ‘No more Pipelines’ Act, is unconstitutional.

TCS Wire

May 10, 2022

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.