Ottawa police promise “unprecedented” response to Canada Day demonstrations

Canada Day Ottawa police response

With several freedom demonstrations planned for this year’s Canada Day in Ottawa, Ottawa police are gearing up and say they will have an “unprecedented” response.

Canada Day Ottawa police response
Canada Day: Ottawa police promise “unprecedented” response

According to the Canadian Press, “An Ottawa police officer says this Canada Day will be “unprecedented and unique” with a never-before-seen security posture as the main events take place off Parliament Hill, and protests are planned throughout the day.”

“Police are aware of the demonstrations and are “planning accordingly,” said the officer.”

Additionally, Canadian Heritage says they’re working with police, having held a technical briefing today for their Canada Day plans. Journalists were only allowed to attend the briefing on the condition that the names of officials involved not be disclosed.

Ottawa police have further stated that they stand for Canadians’ right to protest but will “not allow for the conditions that led to the unlawful protests in February to reoccur.”

Canada Heritage previously announced that they would not allow Canadians to participate in the annual Canada Day celebration at Parliament Hill due to construction after two years of cancelling it due to COVID.

They added that the Canada Day party, which usually sees thousands flock to Ottawa, is being moved to the LeBreton Flats approximately 1.5km Westwards.

As it stands, there are several protests against the remaining COVID mandates planned for Canada Day, which are expected to be attended by many Freedom Convoy protesters from February.

Additionally, this is the same day CAF veteran James Topp will complete his cross-country march to the capital city.

Journalist Andy Lee has also stated she plans to camp on Parliament Hill despite the ban and has given police a heads up.

Share this story

Donate now to keep us on the front lines:

Help Keep your News Free

It's crucial we stay in touch

Big Tech wants to censor us, that’s why you need to stay in touch.

[wpp limit=6 order_by='views']

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE...

Trending News

Canada’s top energy executives are urging the federal government to declare a “Canadian energy crisis” and overhaul regulations to ensure major infrastructure projects receive approval within six months of application.

TCS Wire

March 20, 2025

Trending News

Canadians are becoming more open to exploring private healthcare, with some ready to make the switch.

TCS Wire

March 10, 2025

Trending News

Trump has announced a one-month reprieve on some of the tariffs he imposed on Canada and Mexico just two days ago.

TCS Wire

March 6, 2025

Trending News

With Canada and the United States in a trade war, Premier Doug Ford is calling on Ontario grocery stores to signal to customers which of their products are Canadian.

Walid Tamtam

March 4, 2025

Trending News

U.S. President Donald Trump’s long-threatened tariffs on Canadian exports will be going into effect at midnight.

TCS Wire

March 3, 2025

Want to join the conversation?

Sign up now to be able to like, comment and reply to other members. A full membership to our site includes:

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information that you’ve provided to them or that they’ve collected from your use of their services. You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.