A man who stabbed someone on the Vancouver skytrain in Surrey just 10 days ago has been released and told he’s not allowed to possess knives in public while he awaits his court appearance that’s set for June.
Metro Vancouver Transit Police originally released photos of the suspect that showed him wearing a “trust no one” hat, which helped them eventually identify and arrest him.
However, the Surrey stabber has since been released just 10 days after the incident. The release was with the condition that he doesn’t carry any knives around with him in public and that he doesn’t contact the victim.
The Burnaby BC man’s court date is set for June 14.
The April 15 stabbing incident took place in Surrey around 1am. An altercation took place between the alleged stabber and the victim and another passenger. The victim was taken to the hospital with a “serious” stab wound, but has since been discharged.
Last month, a man was stabbed to death in a Vancouver Starbucks after he asked the murderer not to vape near his daughter.
And earlier this month, a man named Abdul Aziz Kawam was charged with terrorism for slashing another man’s throat on a transit bus in Surrey. The victim barely survived.
The police charges allege the attack was carried out on behalf of ISIS.
Other cities like Calgary have seen a spike in stabbings on transit as well, where random shootings and stabbings are occurring on a near daily basis – and sometimes there is more than one incident per day.
Two weeks ago, for instance, a man was shot on a city bus in broad daylight while other passengers watched in horror. One person was taken to hospital and two were put in custody.
Hours later, Calgary had its second shooting of the day. Police closed the block of 6th Avenue and 10 Street SW after a dead body was found next to a running vehicle.
Earlier this year, the premiers of Canada pleaded with Trudeau to reform the country’s bail system. Trudeau has said his government is “looking carefully” at doing so.